Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If a fire breaks out on your property, your main concern should be the safety of you and others on your property. Next, you will want to call your local fire department. But once the flames have been put out, what's the next step?
Calling our SERVPRO of Punta Gorda team is the next step to take. Our crew will immediately respond and begin the fire damage cleanup and restoration process to have your property back up and running as usual as quickly as possible.
While you wait for our SERVPRO team to arrive, take a second to read through our Fire Damage Tips to learn more about the do's and don'ts after a fire!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (941) 575-5910
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.